From my experience of working at weddings or attending as a guest, I can say without hesitation that it’s vital to have a great master of ceremonies at a wedding for many reasons…
(1) A great wedding MC has experience with all of the formalities of a wedding and should have prepared ad libs to cover all stages of the day/night.
(2) Things don’t always go to plan at a wedding reception. A great wedding MC will be ready to handle any situation when something goes wrong.
(3) Whether they are a family member/friend of the couple or a hired MC, a great wedding MC should prepare tasteful funny material about the bride & groom.
This is far preferable to an MC just telling old wedding jokes.
Where the speechmakers are a bit on the dull side (and that can happen), this is an essential task of the MC.
(5) When it comes to using humour, a great wedding MC will be sensitive to the different ages and cultures of people in the room.
(6) Some hired MC’s want to bolt after a couple of hours. A great wedding MC will stay for the duration of the wedding reception and happily mix with the guests in between the formal parts. You don’t need an MC who wants to hide in a backroom while they’re not behind the microphone.
Jack Levi aka Elliot Goblet